Is your dog or cat exhibiting disruptive behaviors that are stressing out your family? Lincolnway Veterinary Clinic offers behavioral consultation appointments here in Mishawaka, IN for dog and cat owners. These appointments are in-depth, as we discuss your pet’s behavioral issues and your family’s concerns and explore possible options for correcting the behaviors.
If you need help improving your pet’s behavior and restoring harmony to your household, get in touch with our clinic by calling (574) 256-1871.
Common Behavioral Issues in Dogs and Cats, and Possible Causes
Dogs and cats can engage in all kinds of fascinating behaviors, but sometimes it can harm the bond they share with their families and cause significant stress for everyone involved.
These disruptive behaviors may include:
- Chewing/scratching up the furniture
- Inappropriate elimination or house soiling
- Showing aggression towards other animals and/or people
- Constant barking, howling, or other vocalizations
- Going outside of the litterbox
- Separation anxiety, resource guarding, and other anxieties, fears, or phobias
Why It’s Important to Address Your Pet’s Behavior Right Away
What is the cause of your pet’s bad behavior? Is it stress, fear, or boredom? Or could they be sick? Sometimes, dogs and cats behave differently due to an underlying medical problem. If you notice your pet behaving strangely or getting disruptive at home, contact Lincolnway Veterinary Clinic as soon as possible so we can rule out a medical issue and find a solution to your pet’s problems.
What to Expect at Your Pet's Behavior Consultation
Please bring your pet and any family members who are involved in your pet’s behavior problem, or who will be involved in treating the problem. We ask that you refrain from bringing small children, due to the length of these appointments. Initial behavior appointments may take 60-90 minutes, while follow-ups may take 30-60 minutes.
What to Bring to the Appointment
- Favorite treats/toys (especially if your pet has food allergies and can only have certain kinds of treats) so we can interact with them during training/behavior modification
- Any training tools or aids that you and your family currently use
- Current medications/supplements being used
- Any videos and/or photos of your home environment can be helpful—if you can safely obtain photos/video of your pet’s behavior, please do so
Fill Out the Pet Behavior Questionnaire
Please complete the Behavior Questionnaire 7 days prior to your pet’s appointment and email the form back to us. This gives us enough time to review the questionnaire and make preparations so the appointment is productive for you and your pet. If we do not receive the questionnaire back in the appropriate time frame, we will need to reschedule your appointment.
Please see the form options below to download, fill out and save, and then email to us at email@example.com.